Timeline for Senior Year
College Counseling timeline for Seniors.
- Attend after school meetings with college reps at MA. (More than 100 will visit the school.)
- Discuss working college list with your parents and college counselor. Eventually choose less than 10.
- No Senioritis! Your first semester grades are important. Doing well with a strong schedule can make a difference with college admission.
August /September 2017
- Schedule an appointment with your college counselor.
- If you plan on taking any standardized tests this fall, register for them as soon as possible.
- Talk to teachers who you would like to write recommendations for you by September 6th.
- September 8: Registration deadline for the October 7 SAT and SAT Subject Tests
- September 22: Registration deadline for the October 28 ACT test
- September 28: Financial Aid Night for students and parents at 7pm
- October 1 through November 30: CSU filing period
- October 5: Submit Final College Application Lists to teachers and college counselor if applying ED/EA to a school with a November 1 deadline
- October 5: Registration deadline for the November 4 SAT and SAT Subject Tests
- October 15: Submit Final College Application Lists to teachers and college counselor if applying to a school with a November 15 deadline.
- October 25: UC/CSU application workshop at lunch
- If applying Early Decision or Early Action, arrange for the College Board and/or ACT to send your standardized test scores, and submit the CSS PROFILE (if applying for financial aid).
- Work on essays; write final draft of UC essays.
- Finalize list of colleges to which you plan to apply – no more than 10.
- Continue to check in with your College Counselor.
- November 1: Early Decision/Action deadline for some colleges and universities
- November 1 through 30: UC application filing period
- November 2: Registration deadline for the December 2 SAT and SAT Subject Tests
- November 3: Registration deadline for the December 9 ACT test
- November 15: Early Decision/Action deadline for some colleges and universities
- November 30: UC and CSU filing deadline
- Continue working on application essays and supplements
- Give college list to your teachers and college counselor at least one month in advance of first application deadline.
- Have SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and/or ACT test scores sent to colleges. MA does not send scores.
- Arrange interviews, if necessary.
- December 1: Last day to submit Final College List to teachers and college counselor.
- Gather and begin to fill out all financial aid applications, if appropriate (CSS PROFILE and/or FAFSA)
- Begin sending all Regular Decision applications for private colleges and universities.
- Do well on final exams - it's important!
- Review scholarship opportunities
- Finish private college applications (January 1 and 15 are common deadlines)
- Mid-year Reports are sent to colleges from College Counseling Office except for UC and CSU schools, which do not require mid-year grades
- January 1 to February 1: Submit Financial Aid forms
- Cal Grant – If interested be sure to return the form sent to you from College Counseling
- February 1 through April 15: College admission decisions will be sent to you; keep your college counselor informed
- May 1: Commitment deadline for colleges