The Visual and Performing Arts programs at Marin Academy cultivate the imagination, creativity, passion, and aesthetic sensibility of each student, balancing theory and practice, process and product, structure and free exploration.
The Arts at Marin Academy operate under the following principles:
- The love and joy of one’s art is key to learning.
- We approach the student first as an emerging artist rather than as a scholar of the form.
- Classes are experiential and lessons in theory and history are integrated into the “doing.”
- Each discipline celebrates the contributions of a spectrum of cultures and world- views.
- We create a learning environment that supports individual differences in learning styles and cultural backgrounds.
- Artistic risk-taking is encouraged in a supportive environment.
- Collaboration is fostered between the various disciplines, both within the arts and with other departments.
- The arts become a hub wherein the humanities and sciences can be explored in an expressive and experiential mode, giving students a space to make interdisciplinary connections between their artistic and scholarly endeavors.
An unconventional theater repertoire: Instead of another rehash of Grease, MA productions dig into weightier subject matter with interpretations of plays like Moliere’s The Miser and A Hard Day’s Midsummer Night’s Dream, which reimagines Shakespeare through the lens of the Beatles. “Our shows grab the audience,” said student Kai. “They’re outside the box and off the wall and super cool.” Through the art of acting, students grow in understanding of the historical, social, and political subtexts at play.