At Marin Academy, technology is thoughtfully integrated throughout the curriculum from writing papers to writing code.
We encourage students to use technology mindfully, with a focus on using technology to help reach educational goals. To support this, MA is a 1:1 Bring Your Own Device school. Each family purchases a laptop for their students' use throughout their time at me.
- The device must be a WiFi-capable Mac or PC laptop that includes a full-size keyboard Examples include a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Dell XPS, or Microsoft Surface.
- The laptop must be less than 3 years old and ideally should be 0-2 years old.
- The laptop should come to school every day fully charged.
- Families must install the school-provided anti-virus software on the laptop.
- Students must have admin-level access to the laptop.
- While any kind of laptop will work, nearly all faculty, staff, and students purchase a Mac laptop. The most common is either a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro. Having the same model laptop as other students makes it easier for them to collaborate, but again, any laptop that meets the requirements will work.
- A laptop warranty. Apple offers an additional 2 year warranty on their devices. A single repair can often cost more than the warranty cost.
- Backup the computer. This can be an external hard drive for use with Apple's Time Machine service or to store backup files, or an online backup service such as Backblaze or Carbonite.
- All families must sign and submit the Marin Academy Responsible User Agreement before they will be allowed to use any technology resources at MA (email, WiFi and printer access, etc.). More information can be found on the form.
- Students will be provided with a G Suite for Education accounts for access to Gmail, Google Drive., etc., as well licenses for Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Sophos Anti-Virus. These licenses expire once a student graduates.
- The Technology Team is available to troubleshoot issues and support student use of technology, but does not provide hardware repairs.
- Tuition Assistance is available. Please contact Admissions.